MV Clansman 2020 Dry Dock schedule /LinkSpan Replacement
MV Clansman 2020 Dry Dock schedule /LinkSpan Replacement
MV Clansman annual dry dock is currently scheduled from 23rd Jan to 17th Feb 2020
She also will off the Tiree service from 9th Mar through to 24th March covering another route whilst its ferry is in DD. This also co-incides with part of the l/span replacement period (24 Feb-17Mar 2020)
CalMac ,as yet , has not advised the proposed Tiree replacement ferry for both periods.
The Tiree linkspan will be out of service from Monday 24th February 2020 and will be back in service on Tuesday 17th March 2020.
During this period Tiree will be restricted to a passenger only ferry service . Freight will be carried on a freight -only service from Oban . CalMac propose a Tiree meeting ,after the summer, to discuss the freight service modus operandi.
TCC along with TTF met Robbie Drummond CEO of CalMac on Wed 19th June to discuss the issues raised in TCC’s submission to the CalMac Community Board viz a viz unreliability.
This co-incided with other island ferry groups making similar submissions, as a consequence of which CalMac had decided to embark on this road-show presentation
Oban-CollTiree_Weather Cancellations_June 2019
TCC was not being psychotic .Tiree had experienced a rise from 9.7% to 16.2% in winter cancellation compared to last year , but this similar to winter cancellation rate for the 3 yrs 2013-2016 .
The reason given was ‘ increased frequency of inclement weather ‘
Calmac’s presentation was buttressed by several factors, one of which was the increased threat of the criminalisation of seafarers. This requires further scrutiny .
We will keep you informed
CMal held a pop-in presentation at the Pier office on Wed 15th May outlining their proposed repair works (£800K) for the Old Pier to be completed this summer.
CMal presentation for Old Pier 15 may 2019
Originally the Old Pier was to be used to facilitate Tiree’s LinkSpan replacement planned for the weeks prior to Easter 2020 , but use of the Old Pier has been’ engineered‘ out of the project and will only be used to store the linkspan over the winter .
The Tiree l/span is currently being fabricated.It will be shipped to Tiree at the same time as the Coll replacement l/span which is being replaced this autumn.
Refurbishment of Old Pier @ Gott Bay CMAL Drop-In-Meeting Wed 15th
CMAL project manager for the Tiree Old Pierhead repair works (Ruairidh Campbell) is going to hold a drop-in session at the Tiree ferry terminal next Wednesday (15th May) between 2pm and 4pm. He will be accompanied by CalMac, CMAL’s consultant (Mott MacDonald) and CMAL’s contractor (George Leslie).
The intention of the session is to give people the opportunity to meet the team that will be working on the project and to look at the detail of the works that will be undertaken on site in Tiree.
Details of proposed work can be seen on:
A&BC made this announcement Fri 4th May
Interim contract agreed for Coll, Colonsay and Tiree air services
The subsidised air services from Oban to Coll, Colonsay and Tiree will continue after Argyll and Bute Council agreed an interim contract with Hebridean Air.
Hebridean Air will continue to operate the flights from 16 May, while the council now undertakes the evaluation stage of the procurement process for a new four-year contract. The deadline for tenders being submitted for the second round of procurement passed on 2 May.
There had been concerns that services would be interrupted by strict funding legislation after an initial procurement process for the four-year contract failed to attract an acceptable bid.
However, council officers and staff at Hebridean Air worked hard behind the scenes to prevent that scenario, and we are pleased to be able to confirm that there will be no such interruption.
An update on the four-year contract will be provided in due course, once the outcome of the second procurement process has been fully assessed.
The interim service offers an amended number of flights, although flights for school pupils travelling to Oban have been secured as a priority.
Details on Hebridean Air’s current and interim services can be found here: http://bookhebridean.co.uk
Tiree to Glasgow Air Service
Transport Scotland has launched the tender exercise for the next contract period .
The main specification for the Tiree service is below.
- The operator will be required to offer a minimum service between Glasgow and Tiree of:
- Two return trips per day Monday to Friday all year round;
- Two return trips per day on a Saturday for the period 1 April to 20 October and one return trip per day on a Saturday for the period 21 October to 31 March;
- Two return trips per day on a Sunday for the period 1 June to 6 September and one return trip per day on a Sunday for the period 7 September to 31 May;
- A bank of 18 annual rotations;
- No service need be provided on 25 and 26 December or 1 January and a reduced service may be provided on 2 January.
2 The bank of 18 annual rotations will be held by the Tiree Transport Forum for use at their discretion in consultation with the operator taking account of the operator’s ability to deliver additional rotations within the costed level of crew, aircraft resources and airline & airport operational viability. The Tiree Transport Forum shall provide the operator with a minimum of four weeks’ notice for use of banked rotations unless the request is to meet circumstances where such notice could not reasonably be given. Any banked rotation not used in any contract year will be rolled forward to the following year. The operator shall make all reasonable endeavours to provide the Tiree Transport Forum with copies of timetables a minimum of two weeks before publication.
- The capacity of the aircraft used should be as follows:
- Not less than 14 seats on the Glasgow to Tiree route and 16 seats on the Tiree to Glasgow route.
- The Designated Service should be based on a timetable which is convenient for users and should maximise access to connecting flights. The timetabling of the double daily services should provide for a reasonable amount of time for Tiree residents in Glasgow to enable same day returns. While it is recognised that timetable variations may be required due to tidal conditions at Barra, this should be kept to an absolute minimum. The impact of any variations, over the course of a year, should be shared equally between Campbeltown and Tiree. Any variations should be set at point of release for sale and not added at a later date. Any changes required for operational reasons, including cancellations, should also, over the course of a year, be shared equally between Campbeltown and Tiree.
5 The price of a single ticket for travel on the route must not exceed £70 (including any airport charges but excluding any relevant Government tax) for the period 25 October 2019 to 24 October 2020. The maximum fare shall increase by £1 from 25 October in each subsequent year of the contract.
6 The Designated Service must be pro-actively advertised in order to maximise use. Advertising activity should be focused on non-residents of Tiree. Promotional activity, particularly in the off season, is encouraged. Any special promotions should be targeted at both residents and non-residents.
This winter there has been a stream of media reports re CalMac’s unreliability .
The issue was an agenda item at the March TCC meeting, at which after considerable discussion and debate it was decided TCC would make a submission to the CalMac Community Board, for its April Board meeting.
The submission has been made and TCC will report on its outcome
TCC to CCB re Calmac Unreliability 19 April
TCC’s submission endorsed a comparable submission from Mull
Mull’s submission is offered here for your reference
Mull CalMac winter reliability.
Airspace Restrictions Prohibits The Use of Drones on A Significant Portion of Tiree
Drones Regulations as issued by the Civil Aviation Authority (13/03/19) have a direct impact on the use of drones on Tiree .
Please refer to the map below:
A complete ban on Drone activity applies in areas (shaded in blue)
You will note that the TMF site falls within this new restricted area, but windsurfers and those attending the Tiree Ultra and 10k have been known, on a few occasions, to use drones for photo opportunities within these areas too.
The Gatwick Drone incident obviously influenced this CAA ruling .
Awareness of these restrictions should be made available as and where possible.
Proposed ’18 Banked Flights’ Schedule – Glasgow to Tiree Air Service – 2019
TCC at its 6 Feb Meeting agreed to this proposed schedule to be put put forward to the Tiree Transport Forum for consideration prior to formal submission to Loganair and Transport Scotland for their review. The remainder of Banked flights are the same as last year i.e. Additional Saturday flights over peak holiday seasons.
The proposed 18 Banked Additional Flights are as follows:-
1. Additional Easter Friday flight (any time) on Friday 05th April (standard 2x flights already full);
2. Tiree 10k – Additional morning flight on Sat 04th May;
3. Tiree 10k – Additional afternoon flight on Sun 05th May;
4. Additional Peak Summer flight – Sat 06th July;
5. & 6. TMF – Additional morning and afternoon flights (4 flights in total that day) on Fri 12th July;
7. TMF – Additional lunchtime flight on Sat 13th July;
8. TMF – Addition lunchtime flight on Sun 14th July;
9. & 10. TMF – Additional morning and afternoon flights (4 flights in total that day) on Mon 15th July;
11. Additional Peak Summer flight on Sat 20th July;
12. Additional Peak Summer flight on Sat 27th July;
13. Additional Peak Summer flight on Sat 03rd Aug;
14. Additional Peak Summer flight on Sat 10th Aug;
15. August Livestock Sales on Sat 17th Aug – Additional flight with a requested 08:30am departure from Glasgow to fit in with sales times (Note:- Also request a later amended departure time to the current scheduled second flight time to 16:30pm out of Glasgow, again to accommodate sales times);
16. Tiree Ultra – Additional flight (any time) on Sat 07th Sept;
17. Tiree Ultra – Additional flight late afternoon on Sun 08th Sept;
18. Tiree Ultra – Additional flight (any time) on Mon 09th Sept.
Proposed Banked Flights Saturday Reductions (Down to 1x Saturday Flight) on:
26th October to 21st December 19 = 8 flights in total
11th January to 14th March 20 = 10 flights.