Blackhouse Watersports, Balevullin, 15/03260/PP retrospective
Blackhouse Watersports, Gott, 15/03364/PP retrospective
Tiree Community Council response;
Following local comments and representations to the community council, together with considerable public interest and comment on the Argyll and Bute Council planning portal website, unusually large amounts of press and social media comment, and finally a decision by Argyll & Bute Council that a public hearing would be held on Tiree in late November 2016, Tiree Community Council determined at a public meeting on Wednesday 5th October 2016 that the community council would take a position on this matter.
The motion was passed by a majority vote of 4/1 as follows;
“TCC proposes to undertake a postal ballot of all registered voters on the Tiree electoral roll with reference to 15/03260/PP & 15/03364/PP, subject to confirmation from professional advice that it can be done fairly and within the proposed timescale.”
Following the 5th October decision, the community council Secretary sought advice from the Area Governance Officer, Argyll and Bute Council on appropriate wording and layout for a postal ballot of registered voters in Tiree. It was decided that the ballot would be entirely anonymised, but with a variety of security measures to ensure fairness and effective governance of the ballot process.
- Tiree Community Council Secretary requested a current Tiree voters’ role, (AA/53), from Argyll & Bute Council’s Area Governance Officer, and was duly received from the Dumbartonshire and Argyll & Bute Joint Valuation Board on Friday 7th October 2016
- In view of the potential complexity of running a postal ballot, and ensuring a good response, without the community council taking a position for or against, the community council Convenor composed an explanatory letter to all registered voters on Tiree Role AA/53, as at Monday 10th October 2016.
- Tiree Community Council duly registered an interest in both applications on the Argyll & Bute Council Planning Portal website on Thursday 6th October 2016.
- Postal ballot voting papers, together with a stamped addressed envelope and explanatory letter, were sent to all registered voters within Tiree AA/53 on Monday 17th October 2016.
- A return/closing date for the postal ballot was set as Friday 18th November 2016, giving one full calendar month for voters to return their ballot papers in the stamped addressed envelope supplied.
- Ballot voting papers returned by Royal Mail were securely stored at Tiree Business Centre in an approved black ballot box, and opened and counted on Monday 21st November 2016 by Rona Campbell, (a certified Registrar), and vigilated by Dr John Holliday , (Tiree Community Council Convenor, and Iain MacKinnon, (retired Local Authority employee).
- Results of the postal ballot were made available to the Planning Officer on Monday 21st November 2016 at 14.30 by email correspondence.
Postal Ballot Results
Number of ballot papers issued 535
Number of ballot papers returned 421
Percentage ballot papers returned 78.5%
Number of spoiled ballot papers 1
The Planning Officer in the applications by Blackhouse Watersports, reference numbers
for Gott and Balevullin 15/03364/PP retrospective, and 15/03260/PP retrospective, has
‘recommended refusal of both applications’.
Balevullin Beach Hut Reference 15/03260/PP Results
Number of votes in favour of recommendation of Planning Officer 314
Number of votes opposed to recommendation of Planning Officer 102
Gott Bay Beach Hut Reference 15/03364/PP Results
Number of votes in favour of recommendation of Planning Officer 306
Number of votes opposed to recommendation of Planning Officer 109
The ballot does not determine the outcome of the planning process, it simply aims to give a voice to the feelings of local residents, as it will form part of the planning officers submissions to A&BC Councillors.